Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
JoyceJowers
Style_council
JoyceJowers

Skinny, it is something that everyone aspires to be. It is the epitome of perfection; small breasts, narrow hips and long willowy figures. You can’t say you haven’t heard this whether you agree or not. Being fat is horrible, who wants amazonian figures and flaunting your God-given figure is now frowned upon.

We all deal with this whether you are skinny as a wisp of air, or as curvaceous as the Colorado Rockies (not to be confused with the baseball team). However, coming from the skinny little girl who weighs barely 90 pounds, I am here to say that right now it seems as though being skinny is as bad as being fat. I’m not sure how to say this without hurting people’s feelings unintentionally, but I feel it is worth mentioning. I go to school (yup, I’m only in high school) and it gets really old to hear “When you get older you are going to blow up like a balloon and I will be laughing now” or “Are you sure you aren’t anorexic?” or something along those lines. And for a sensitive high schooler, I get just as upset as the girl who weighs a healthy 140 who is told she needs to attain a perfect 100. Who wants to hear “put down that twinky you big whale”, but who wants to be told that because you have the figure they want you suffer from an eating disorder or can’t wait till the day your metabolism runs down and you blow up?

These social norms we are put into cause our youth to constantly feel the pressure to change. It isn’t anymore just about being that perfect size 0, but making sure that you are exactly where people expect you to be. it is this fear that makes us unsure of what dress to wear, for us to not go to the pool, and this fear that causes us to hurt others.

posted over 7 years ago
Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

I feel your pain, Joyce. I’m 5’9" and weigh about 120 right now. I don’t want to gain weight, because for 3 years I weighed 135 lb (the lowest “healthy” weight for my height), and I didn’t carry even that minimal fat well. The problem is I have thin legs, narrow hips, a flat butt, and I’m relatively flat chested, and I never gain weight in those areas. ALL my weight goes to my midsection. So I have to be underweight just to look average sized, and to avoid the health risks associated with fat around the middle. (It should be noted, though, that this weight isn’t forced. I’ve never been on a diet and I don’t even exercise regularly. I honestly don’t understand how someone who eats as much as I do could possibly be underweight).

I’d gladly trade bodies with a curvier woman who carried her weight well. :-/

posted over 7 years ago

JoyceJowers
Style_council
JoyceJowers

I think our bodies are something to be loved rather than inspected ad criticized. They are wonderful and capable of doing amazing things, but all of the criticism hinders that.

posted over 7 years ago

julieangel122
Style_council
julieangel122

I definitely agree with what was said already. I as well had that sensitive part in high school. Not knowing who I was, not loving what I had as to want I wanted. Right now I’m in first year of university, weigh 132 lbs and am about 5 foot 7 and am a size 6. I was never considered part of the ‘pretty’ crowd since I was young, but I found confidence through expressing myself with sports and fashion.

Wearing things that made me feel good, and letting that flow out really helped a lot. Everyone is beautiful their own way you know? Whether we’re a size 0 or a size 12, with a curvy body or not, as long as we carry ourselves with pride and love what we have, the opinions of the society around us seems to matter less.

posted over 7 years ago

Dux
Style_council
Dux

I can really relate to what you wrote. It is not OK to tell someone or about someone that they are fat (go to the gym, you should eat less), but it is OK to tell people they are skinny (you should eat more, you look anorectic etc.). I have a couple of really skinny friends. They just have really fast metabolism and not due to the diet and whatever they would do – they do not gain weight. But why should they feel bad about it? I think it is not fair. Because of such stuff and the norms that are being forced on us a lot of people do not feel comfortable in their bodies. I was never bullied in such a way, but even up til now I do not feel comfortable in my skin, because of the stuff I heard people talk – diets, size matters (pun intended), only skinny people look good and to be fat is the most awful thing that can happen… It is all BS and we should just all accept who and what we are and just enjoy ourselves without worrying to much.

posted over 7 years ago

isobelrose
Style_council
isobelrose

completely agree it seems like recently people have been ganging up on all these skinny girls on blogs ect. for instance on my facebook i’ve been seeing lots of status’s about being a “proud curvy girl” i mean good for them and all but stop hating on skinny people who might not want to be chubby or can’t put on the weight.if skinnies put up status’s saying how much they loved being size 0 then everyone else would tell them to pipe down.
rant over – but seriously i used to be an english size 12 and am now 8/6 i’m so much happy being slimmer now but seeing as i lost all my weight over summer now girls who i don’t even now feel like they have a right to ask me if i have an eating disorder! not cool at all
brilliant topic btw

posted over 7 years ago

JanelleEfe
Style_council
JanelleEfe

I’m 5’5’.5 and about 120 pounds, and I know that i’d love to be about 10 pounds lighter, but it’s really BECAUSE of how pretty the REALLY thin girls look that makes us “regular” sized girls want to be you… no cellulite, no extra skin ANYWHERE. Even without curves, skinny girls look delicate and feminine, ready to be carried off my prince charming.

That being said, I have size D breasts which I LOVE, but with the last five pounds I gained I got a bit of a behind as well that, quite frankly, I’m just not comfortable with yet. It’s really scary to gain weight after having been a waif all through middle and most of high school (i’m a senior). I think that the hourglass shape has never gone out of style, but there is DEFINITELY the unspoken pressure to be a thinnie-mini still.

However, I get where you’re coming from on being called TOO thin. If it’s coming from girls, it’s jealously. No ifs ands or buts, they’re jealous. The media has freaked out recently about anorexia, (which affects something like 1% of girls our age, i believe) which has made it socially acceptable to give skinny girls put downs. Honestly, I think our worries ought to lie with obesity, which has a much higher rate and is not due to one’s metabolism. Yes, it is impossible for some girls to be a zero without literally starving themselves, but no one, NO ONE, is GENETICALLY inclined to be obese. Thick, maybe. chubby, maybe. Clinically obese, no.

As for YOUR body, I suggest you live it up being a skinny girl for as long as it lasts :) there are all kinds of cute designer clothes made just for your body type. Remember, anyone criticizing your body is just a hater who probably has a few extra inches around their waist that they aren’t comfortable with.

posted over 7 years ago

Siesie
Style_council
Siesie

Well, maybe no one is genetically inclined to be obese (though I’m not sure about that, as I haven’t looked into it), but if you have a slow metabolism and are already predisposed to a larger size, those two things together can cause obesity. And for some people, it’s extremely hard to lose weight. I remember when I only wanted to lose 10 pounds, and I lacked the willpower to stay away from sweets. So I can’t imagine what it’s like to be obese, needing to lose 50+ pounds, and to have a naturally slow metabolism so that every little calorie does a lot of damage. It seems unfair that someone like me can eat and eat and eat without gaining any weight, while some people pay for every indulgence. I’m sure there are obese people who diet and exercise more than I do, even though I’m thin.

Size is really not a good indicator of health. There are too many variables involved.

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password