SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
AnnabellandMc
Style_council
AnnabellandMc

I have been working out hardcore for a while now and I can not seem to lose weight. Instead I’ve put on a few lbs, and I’ve barely been eating. Does anyone have any suggestions for me that will help me lose weight faster?

posted over 7 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Stop making it about losing weight. Just focus on being happy and getting healthy! When I stopped worrying about weight and focused on being happy and content with my life, I lost a lot of weight (we’re talking 60 lbs!). Health is more important than anything, and it may be that your body is happy at the weight you are at right now. Keep doing what you’re doing though, because both a healthy diet and exercise will improve your over-all well being.

Make sure you stay away from crash diets, which can mess up your metabolism and lead to weight gain. That means no more of this “barely eating” stuff! Your body might start thinking you’re in a famine and stop burning calories the way it normally does.

Also, it’s possible that the weight you think you’ve gained while exercising is actually muscle. It weighs quite a bit more than fat, so in the beginning of a new work out regime, many people think they are gaining weight, but they are actually just gaining muscle. It could also just be natural weight fluctuations. On any given day, your weight can fluctuate +/-1 to 5 pounds!! You’re usually heavier around your period, because of water retention, so don’t worry if you think your weight has spiked after 1 day! It more than likely hasn’t.

Hope this helped!

posted over 7 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Forgot to ask, what kind of exercises are you doing?

posted over 7 years ago

AnnabellandMc
Style_council
AnnabellandMc

Thank you! This helped alot! I’m doing lots of yoga/ballet, and toning workouts. My toning workouts include mostly different types of squats with weights, and lots of crunches.

posted over 7 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Yup! You’re just adding on muscle! Make sure to get some aerobic activities worked into your routine, like swimming or brisk walking. Walking did wonders for me and it helps improve your mood so much if you’re feeling angry or sad.

Glad I could help :)

posted over 7 years ago

AnnabellandMc
Style_council
AnnabellandMc

Thank you both! This all makes perfect sense. I guess I’ve just been so concerned with the numbers I see on the scale, and it just freaked me out! I was looking into purchasing a bike because there is a park in riding distance from my house, and on beautiful days….I just can’t resist!

posted over 7 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

barepeppermint makes a good point! Even though my weight has stayed steady for the past couple years I’ve gone down a couple sizes because I’ve toned up. Weight is just a number and does not tell you how healthy or unhealthy you are. Think about it this way: 200 pounds sounds like a lot, but what if you were 6’5"? You would be pretty lean! That’s just one example of how weight is just a number.

posted over 7 years ago

AnnabellandMc
Style_council
AnnabellandMc

Yea, when you think about it that way it makes sense. I’ve just always had an absession with my weight. And when I really think about it, it’s lean that I want to be, not skinny!

posted over 7 years ago

anyelina
Style_council
anyelina

Cardio and more cardio ! . If u do too much strength you putting muscle … and muscle weights more .

posted over 7 years ago

jadekelly
New_user jadekelly is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jadekelly reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jadekelly

You also need to be careful that you’re not going too extreme. If you’re eating too few calories and burning too many then that can actually hinder weightloss rather than aid it. Your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories a day to function but it’s likely that even with a sedentary lifestyle you use about 1700 per day. So if you’re eating under that and exercising then your net calories could likely be well under the 1200 you need as a minimum.

Back in September I’d been trying to lose weight like you without much success and then I started using www.myfitnesspal.com which helped a lot because it gave me a guideline of how to do it healthily. I’ve lost 2 stone since. You might not want to use it but I’d at least have a read of the forums because (most) people on there know their stuff and can give some really good advice.

But as others have said, ultimately it’s about being happy in your own skin, the number is just a number :) Good luck!

posted over 7 years ago

AnnabellandMc
Style_council
AnnabellandMc

Thank you, Jadekelly! I’ll have to checkout that website! Thanks for all the love and support, girls! I’m feeling much better about thing:)

posted over 7 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

Weight loss is funny. the first couple weeks, one tends to put on a couple pounds. THEN it starts coming off. You do run into a point where more loss is quite hard.

Yes muscle weighs more than fat (equal volumes, muscle is way more dense) but muscle looks good and muscle tends to eat fat cells alive when it gets hungry.

First you need to be honest with yourself – with needing to lose weight, is the extra “love” around your midsection just some vanity pounds or is it more serious than that?
Looking at your photos, you look to be in great shape. Most of us do not look like that one lady that graces all those diet products. I forget her name but she has a build like a dude.

For me, I needed to lose weight and it was a bit more serious – I wasn’t exercising so I tended to near-starve myself. When that quit working, I started hitting the gym and the elliptical machine is the staple of my routine. Keep in mind that the lighter you are, the harder it is gonna be to lose more weight. The bigger one is, the more calories they burn doing anything, even sleeping.

When working out to lose weight though, at first leisurely workouts will cut it but you eventually get to where you have to push really hard and sweat like a pig. My thing is being on the elliptical machine and putting the level as high as my bodyweight will still move the pedals (level 19) and then hammer away for 45 minutes.

For you though, I would say keep doing what you are doing to keep your figure. No need to go nuts like I do.

posted over 7 years ago

linaeiram
New_user linaeiram is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When linaeiram reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
linaeiram

Sounds like you’re doing a lot of exercises that help build muscle like squats and weight training. You should maybe try cardio. It helps burn fat and you’ll feel GREAT once you’re done :)

posted over 7 years ago

AnnabellandMc
Style_council
AnnabellandMc

Thanks, everyone!! All the advice is really great! I am definitely going to take all of it and put it to good use. I’ve recently figured out that I’m just a bigger girl, so I will never be a size 2 , and really, that’s okay. It’s more of a mental thing for me to get over. (I have an obsession. haha) But thank you all. I will be working on it! Thanks much! <3

- Mc
posted over 7 years ago

MIchelleMcDaniel
Style_council
MIchelleMcDa...

you are gaining muscle!!

posted over 7 years ago

lovemarta
Style_council
lovemarta

Maybe because you haven’t been eating much, your body is realizing that and whatever you eat it stores it because it knows that it won’t get any for a while. And trust me that’s not healthy, you can eat all day just eat smart and it small portions, its the best way

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password