SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Necca
Style_council
Necca

I’m trying to go cold turkey on dairy products to see how it will affect my skin. My parents are incredulous about it, and they think I’m being a drama queen. It really hurts my feelings when they do this. Ugh but anyways, are there any other chictopians who live dairy free? What do you do about cravings? I crave queso like nobody’s business. What are some foods you like to keep handy in the kitchen? are there any products that may contain dairy that you wouldn’t think would? Any specific products you endorse?

Thanks guys. :)

posted about 8 years ago
MichelleCurry
Style_council
MichelleCurry

Soy cheese saves my life most days. It comes in multipul flavors too depending on where you want to buy it. You can also use tofu like feta on salads. YUM! There are also dairy free ice creams, gelatos, whipped “cream”, and things like that. Also almond, soy, rice, and hemp milk is a great substitute for cereal. I also recommend looking at vegan blogs and vegweb.com for “cheesy” substitutes. You can also make your own nut milks too, which is good if you like to cook (like me)

Also, my parents do the same thing. They think i am nuts and dont understand why I dont eat all the junk they do, or why I dont drink milk and avoid cheese like the plague. They will get over it. Just keep pushing it and show that you are serious about it and they will come around. :)

posted about 8 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Thank you so much for replying. :)
Are these available in most supermarkets? And are they very expensive?

posted about 8 years ago

Fashionlass
Style_council
Fashionlass

Hey!
I’m not usually a big Forum replier, but I simply had to help you out. :)
I’m considered the most insane person around by most of the people who know me because I cut out dairy 8 years ago, and have been off refined sugar for 3, so I do know how you’re feeling. My parents were super supportive (us being a pretty holistic, granola fam jam), but my grandparents and friends…. well, they looked at me like I had three heads.
First off, cutting out dairy is a great idea. The crap that is in it, especially North American dairy products, are just bad, and do you no favours skin-wise or health-wise. In fact, if you cut out dairy, you’ll see an improvement not only in your skin, but also in your overall well-being. Feel stuffed up a lot, or have a sticky and (I apologize ahead of time) mucous-y throat? Cutting out dairy will clear that right up. :)
Even though I have cut out dairy, I love raw milk cheeses: they are not pasturized or processed, and so contain no lactose or anything that your body can’t process, so I’d see if you can get your hands on them. They’re illegal in the US I believe, so you’re probably out of luck there if that’s where you reside, but try out goat cheese as an alternative. Or try Whole Foods. They may have raw milk cheeses.
Soy cheese can work too, but I’m on the fence about that due to all of the recent stuff about estrogen in soy, so I can’t tell you too much about it.
In addition to checking out vegan sites, try hitting up some raw food sites too, and researching raw food “cookbooks”. They have AMAZING recipes that contain no refined sugar or dairy, and are totally worth the investment. I use mine constantly.
So, to conclude this ramble, if cutting out dairy doesn’t help with skin issues (give it two-four months) try cutting out refined sugar. I felt great when I cut out dairy, and as soon as I cut out sugar, I felt even better.
Hope this helps.

posted about 8 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Thank you so much! I will look for raw milk cheese and try and find some good recipes. <3

posted about 8 years ago

EmmyAnn
New_user EmmyAnn is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When EmmyAnn reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
EmmyAnn

My sister and I are lactose intolerant and so for the past couple years we’ve been fighting a similar fight to yours! Finding cheese substitutes these days is incredibly easy. Check the health food section of Kroger (if that is your local supermarket) for cheese substitutes. I like drinking soymilk (even some dollar stores carry it now) but my sister swears by almond milk. It is your choice. Having a butter/cream cheese substitute should help transition you and ease up the cravings. Just look for any vegan products and make sure to read all the ingredients because some companies are sneaky. Get yourself a good vegan cookbook and make sure to feed those haters and they’ll soon turn around! :]

posted about 8 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Yeah I have been drinking almond milk instead. Are there any specific brands of substitutes you could recommend?

posted about 8 years ago

Planeglass
New_user Planeglass is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When Planeglass reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
Planeglass

I have a dairy allergy and i think rice milk turns out the nicest in cereal (Rice Dream in specific, do they have that where you are? They sell it in Canada) And goats cheese tastes exactly like regular cheese (The PC brand is the best, theres imitation moza and cheddar) and if you shred it up its makes a really nice grilled cheese (Dont buy the imitation cheese slices made out of rice – uck). Also, kinnikinnick has the BEST and i mean THE BEST dairy free fudgey-o’s and oreos in the entire world. Theyre also gluten free which rocks because im allergic to gluten as well as dairy. The only bad thing about them is that once you start eating them they’re so good you cant stop :$$

posted about 8 years ago

MichelleCurry
Style_council
MichelleCurry

No, they arent very expensive and are available at most stores that have an organics section. Hell, I can find it at Food Lion if I need it. I usually shop at Whole Foods or other natural markets though because they have a wider selection. :)

posted about 8 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

Thanks guys! Ahh my parents actually bought me three different kinds of almond milk the other day, so I guess that’s a sign they care a bit?

posted about 8 years ago

Rainbow_Tights
Style_council
Rainbow_Tights

Stonyfield Farms Organic O’Soy yougurt and Silk soy milk are lifesavers for me! I actually like the taste better than dairy products so it made the switch really easy. Also, Trader Joes has delicious soy ice cream. Make sure you get 3 servings of milk substitute products a day so you’re not missing out on the nutrients you need. :-)

posted about 8 years ago

thegreatbernsby
Style_council
thegreatbernsby

Soy won’t kill you, but don’t eat/drink too much of it! The estrogen in it is terrible for anyone in large amounts. I like almond milk in my cereal, but I hear rice milk is good, too!

Instead of regular cheese, I’ve been eating goat’s cheese and it doesn’t give me any problems. I get mine from my local’s farmer’s market. Check to see if you have a vendor in the area at a farmer’s market or co-op. The booth at my market sells all kinds of different flavors, including a cinnamon/cranberry goats cheese that is really sweet and perfect for a dessert.

When I want ice cream, I usually get a rice milk base scoop from a local ice creamery. This can be hard to find, but it really yummy if you can get it. I also like Tofuti Cuties (available at most markets) which are tiny little “ice cream” sandwiches. They’re adorable and delcious!

Good luck!

posted about 8 years ago

Necca
Style_council
Necca

You guys are awesome! <3
Thank you all so much.

posted about 8 years ago

kmbessem12
Style_council
kmbessem12

coconut milk!

posted almost 8 years ago

Harumi818
Style_council
Harumi818

protein bars!

posted almost 8 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password