SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

There’s a bit of a controversy revolving the new McDonald’s commercial since it’s basically marketing towards kids (a cartoon of a boy and his dog).

The kid is seen eating apples and low-fat milk instead of the usual hamburger and fries, although there is a stack of the junk food right next to him. It’s been said that it’s good marketing because kids will think it’s healthy to eat at McDonald’s since the child watching it will associate McDonald’s and healthiness by watching this commercial.

Do you think it’s misleading or parents should be more wary of bringing their kids to McDonald’s on a regular basis? What’s your take? You can watch the commercial here.

posted over 7 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I think it can be looked at from two different ways.

Negative view: it may lead to children thinking McDonald’s is healthy, just like putting “Natural” on labels leads adults to believe something is good for them.

Positive view: McDonald’s is putting fruit and low-fat dairy in the forefront, which can encourage children to eat healthier. Showing a child in the commercial eating the good stuff first may also encourage children to follow the same pattern: eat the healthy stuff first, then, if you have room, eat the delicious junk.

Personally, though, I wish they wouldn’t put caramel sauce in with the apples. People should eat fruit because it’s naturally delicious, not because it’s covered in caramel. This just causes a greater dependency on sugar. When it comes to encouraging better eating habits in America, I will take what I can get. Did you know most Americans consume their fruits and veggies in the form of ketchup?? The FDA now considers pizza a vegetable, so in that light, a McDonald’s Happy Meal is like diet food.

posted over 7 years ago

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I don’t eat at McDonalds, and I was never allowed to when I was younger, so I have never actually had a Happy Meal. I’ve only had Chicken McNuggets from McDonalds.

But, I think that it isn’t meant to be like “oh hey kiddies, it’s okay to eat the Happy Meal. It’s good for you!” I think it’s more or less advertising to the parents and children that there are alternatives to the usual burger, fries and coke meal.

I agree with catiekat, apples are delicious on their own, you don’t even need the caramel sauce.

posted over 7 years ago

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i think they are trying to get kids to eat the healthier options available at mcdonalds.personally, not a fan of the place.

posted over 7 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I think they’re manipulating their target population (uninformed with limited resources) into believing mcdonald’s is healthy. maybe if that kid wasn’t munching on fries at the end, I would be more inclined to thinking it was just promoting their healthier options

posted over 7 years ago

ameliajin
Style_council
ameliajin

The commercial is misleading. First of all, McDonalds specializes in unhealthy fast food. no kid is going to eat the healthier option when they go there.

posted over 7 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

McDonald’s does not serve unhealthy food. It would have to be FOOD first. That crap doesn’t qualify. I saw something once and have not had McD’s fries since then – there was this test, they left out certain foods for several days and the fries never decomposed or got moldy. What are they made of? Bacteria won’t even touch them?

With kids eating there, yeah let us be honest like fantasyfun said- if they have a choice, they are not going to push aside the junk to eat apple slices.

But, I guess McD’s is at least pretending to act like they care about people’s health. I guess a pseudo-step in the right direction

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password