SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
DefinitionOfBeauty
Style_council
DefinitionOf...

How do you make a homemade chai tea latte? If possible healthy version.

posted almost 8 years ago
MDev15
Style_council
MDev15

Ironically I just made one today because I am absolutely in love with the Iced Chai Tea Lattes from Panera Bread. All I did was I brewed some black tea and mixed it with some milk and ice (I wanted an ice version). It would problem taste a little better if you steamed the milk first, but I didn’t have time. Then I added honey and cinnamon and stirred them in. It tasted good then, but it was perfect when I added a spoonful of sugar. You could always substitute the sugar for Splenda, but overall it’s a pretty healthy drink, at least in comparison to some of those Starbuck’s drinks.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

There’s a lot of variations to chai latte/masala chai recipes I’ve seen, but they usually contain black tea, a sweetener (sugar, brown sugar, honey, etc), and milk, and the spices are usually cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and maybe peppercorns, cloves, nutmeg and/or anise. You can either do it traditionally (simmering the water, milk, sweetener, and spices together before adding tea leaves) or brewing the tea and spices and adding steamed milk, but if you’re short on time and equipment I’m sure it would also taste good to just brew some black tea and add powdered spices and milk to taste.

You can also find chai spice tea bags pretty much anywhere. Even if it’s from a bag and not from scratch it will be healthier than what you would buy at a coffee chain. Just don’t go overboard on the sweetener!

DefinitionOfBeauty
Style_council
DefinitionOf...

Thanks everyone I’m going to make it today

Smash86
Style_council
Smash86

Mmm chai tea is the best. You can buy the tea in liquid form here, in cartons at the store in the tea section. All you do is combine half tea and half milk in a mug and heat it in the microwave, or you can use a steamer. :) I think it’s called Oregeon Chai.

fashionophile
Style_council
fashionophile

Great ideas! I’m totally going to try making some. A few years back I would drink so much chai tea, but it’s been a while… now I’m craving it! I blame you guys ;)

carouth
Style_council
carouth

I have some vanilla black tea that I add cream (so do low-fat milk to make it healthy) and cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey to. It’s delicious.

Chris213
Style_council
Chris213

I had no idea how to make your own Chai tea latte. I’m definitely going to try some of these ideas too!

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

I don’t know about chai latte, but I think this is a pretty ingenious way to make chai: here. You basically brew the chai concentrate in a large batch so you can use it whenever you want :)

valmins
New_user valmins is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When valmins reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
valmins

I dont know why its commercially called chai tea. Because chai is Indian and chai means Tea in Hindi. so its like tea tea. But yes, traditionally, boil water with tea leaves, add sugar and extra milk (say half cup) and let the color arise. Then strain and the hot beverage is chai!

pd804
Style_council
pd804

Mmmmmmmm, Starbucks has the best Chai tea latte! For the longest time that’s all I would order. I also bought the Chai tea that is only sold at Costco . Very delicous all you have to do is add milk and your good. You should try it!

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password