SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Health

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

When it comes to health, you can’t forget about germs and bacteria that may be lingering in your house (or at your work place/school). Whether you’re trying to eat healthily (even with frozen food), remember you may have to also combat those scummy germs lurking around. Wanna find out where in your house may have the DIRTIEST areas? Read more below!

1. Office supplies – “The average desktop has 400 times more bacteria than a toilet bowl.” Yikes. Turns out that more people clean up their toilets than they do with office supplies. Make sure you use some disinfectant wipes!

2. Sponges – Yes, these sponges have a lot of germs, so what’s a great tip to eliminate these germs? You can try microwaving ’em or actually washing ’em (yes washing ’em) with warm water and soap.

3. Pillows – Surprise, surprise (or maybe not?) Pillows should be changed about every 5-6 years, and washing your pillowcase once a week can really help maintain good hygiene!

4. Every time you flush the toilet, your toothbrush gets even more infested with germs. – Long sentence, but true (and gross). Seems that when you flush the toilet, even if with the lid down/closed, all that germs fly out and land on your toothbrush. But don’t worry, once the ‘germs’ from the toilet lands on your toothbrush and the toothbrush dries out, the germs also die.

5. Rotting Laundry – How to get rotting laundry? Easy – just let your wet clothes sit in the washer for more than 1 day (24 hours), and mildew/fungus may actually grow on your clothes. Ew! If that happens, make sure to wash again…or just simply remove your clothes from the washer after it’s done washing!

Did any of these shock you? Where do you think is the dirtiest area lurking in your home/work/school?

Source: Fitness Magazine

posted over 7 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I’ve heard carpets are dirtier than most city streets! That shocked me the first time I heard it, but I guess it makes sense. They’re like little forests for dirt and germs to live in and who lysols their carpet? It’s impossible to reslly disinfect them. The desk and office supply thing makes sense cuz you don’t think of it as dirty so it never gets cleaned. I don’t really worry about germs in my house because most of them I introduced myself. It’s when mold and bacteria become inbalanced that you can have problems, or when you itroduce a germ like salmonella. Like a sponge that’s been used to wash a cutting board that had raw chicken on it, or if the sponge is smelly, it should be washed or disinfected immediately. I like to put them in the microwave for 10 seconds.

posted over 7 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I learned about sponges being dirty from an episode of Mythbusters! I started replacing them way more often after that, and I always do a rinse in hot water and fresh dish soap before I use them. Maybe I’ll try microwaving, too.

It seems like the dirtiest places are always unexpected! Everyone knows they’re supposed to clean their toilet, sink, kitchen counters . . . but there are a lot of places we touch with dirty hands or feet that we never think to clean because they don’t “seem” dirty.

posted over 7 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

That is so disgusting!!!

I know my keyboard is pretty gross… I really need to clean it. I make sure to wash my hands every time I walk away from the computer, but now I am going to have to carry hand sanitizer or something!

posted over 7 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION
Please log in. Don't have an account? Sign up here.
Continue_with_facebook
or login below
Username
Password